Loretta’s Asparagus Risotto
by Loretta Metcalf, InsideOut Magazine
- 3 to 4 cups canned low-salt chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon Lodestar olive oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped small
- 1 cup Lundberg Farms organic Arborio rice
- ⅛ cup white wine preferably Sauvignon Blanc
- ½ to ¾ freshly grated imported Italian Parmesan cheese (to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh Italian flat leaved parsley (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh Myers lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh Meyers lemon zest
- ¼ to ½ lb asparagus cut on diagonal into ¾ to 1 inch pieces
- Bring broth to simmer in large saucepan over medium heat and add asparagus pieces.
- Simmer until al dente.
- Remove asparagus from broth and cool immediately in cold water to stop cooking.
- Strain and set aside.
- Cover broth to keep warm.
- Combine butter and olive oil in large, heavy saucepan or sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add shallots and sauté until tender.
- Add rice; cook and stir about a minute.
- Add wine and stir until evaporated, abut 30 seconds or so.
- Add about one cup or more of hot broth to rice; simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining broth _ cup at a time; be sure that all broth has been absorbed before adding more.
- Continue stirring frequently until rice is creamy and tender.
- When rice is done to your taste, stir in cheese, asparagus, lemon juice, lemon zest, and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve.