Lodestar Grilled Balsamic "Lamb Jam" Chops
- 6 American Lamb Rib Chops (2 lbs. / ¾" thick)*
- Lodestar Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves only, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 ½ teaspoons coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (1½ if sea salt preferred)
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar (12 year aged or less)
- ½ cup orange juice (roughly 5 oz. or 2 oranges fresh squeezed)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup California red wine
- 2 pears** (quartered & cubed)
* Can substitute with a shoulder chop but grill time will vary. Internal temperature for medium rare is 145°.
** substitute with apples or 1 cup of dry black mission figs without stems & rough chopped
- Brush lamb chops with Lodestar Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Combine thyme, pepper and salt and liberally season chops.
- Let rest for ½ hour (while preparing glaze). Grill, each side, over high heat for 2 minutes watching for flare ups, then low heat (move to cooler part of your grill) for additional 2 minutes.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons Lodestar olive oil over medium flame.
- Quickly sauté shallots, as they begin to brown add garlic, stir, and then gently add red wine to deglaze pan.
- Add balsamic vinegar, orange juice and then honey. Stir well. With a low simmer let liquid reduce by half.
- Add pears (and optional rosemary), stir well, let simmer another 5-7 minutes until pears are just tender. Remember your glaze will thicken as it cools on serving plate.
- Plate lamb chops on large serving plate and pour glaze over chops (you’re going to want to have a serving spoon and fork on this plate). Pair with a long grain & wild rice mixture.