Chef Michael Tuohy's Walnut Pesto
Chef Michael Tuohy feels that you should make pesto whatever way suites you best.
In his version of Walnut Pesto, he allows walnuts to shine as the key ingredient.
Using a mortar and pestle helps to create a paste like pesto which is delicious
to use on crostini or over pasta.
- 1-3/4 cups walnuts, toasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon smooth Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup Lodestar Late Harvest Mission Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a mortar and pestle, place ground walnuts, Dijon, red wine vinegar, shallots, a pinch of salt and black pepper, cheese.
- Start to slowly pour in the oil mixture while pounding with the pestle. A thick paste should develop that resembles a traditional pesto.
- Add chopped sage, and adjust seasoning to taste.